Prime Minister Marshal P. Pibulsongkram addressed that “Thailand should have a place that provides healthcare services for sick citizens and where doctors can develop their academic and clinical skills and implement those knowledge for the benefits of people in the country”. Later, “Hospital City” or “Medical Center” project was developed at Thung Phaya Thai, and the areas on Phaya Thai Road, Ratchawithi Road, Rama 6 Road and Si Ayutthaya Road. The project was gradually developed because massive amount of budget and the amounts of human and other resources were required. Women’s Hospital was the first building to be constructed.
Women’s Hospital was established on April 16, 1951. Prime Minister Marshal P. Pibulsongkram instituted the hospital at Tung Phaya Thai Field which is situated between Ratchawithi Road and Phaya Thai Road. It was determined to be the first hospital for women in Thailand giving newborn cares and parenting guidelines. On June 24, 1951, Dr. Sem Phringphuangkaew was nominated as the Hospital Director.
September 17, 1951, Outpatient Department started to offer cares for young patients. At that time, outpatient clinics and wards combined young and adult patients together. On April 16, 1953, Pediatric Department had its own separate building with a total of 50 beds; 34 patient beds and 16 newborn beds.
Because of rapid increasing number of young patients, additional check – up rooms and beds were needed. The hospital received an adequate amount of budget that to construct 3 pediatric buildings with 2 stories, 1 administration building, and 2 buildings for patient with 137 beds. Since then, young patients were moved to the new buildings. Children’s Hospital officially opened on June 24, 1954 implementing the same regulations with Women’s Hospital. Dr. Sem Phringphuangkaew was the Hospital Director and Dr. Orawan Khunvisal, who completed United Nations – Thai Government Scholarship in Child Welfare and Pediatric Diseases from Boston, USA was Head of Children’s Hospital. At that time, Children’s Hospital was divided into 4 departments; Pediatric Department, Surgical Department, Pharmacy Department, and Medical Record Department.
Dr. Orawan Khunvisal contributed herself to the hospital, but with her health problem, she resigned on October 4, 1957.
In 1958, Dr. Suphap Prasasvinitchai received her master’s degree in Pediatric Surgery, Pennsylvania, USA (1954-1957) became Head of Children’s Hospital and Head of Surgical Department until her resignation in 1963.
In 1964, Dr. Petai Mansuwan became Head of Children’s Hospital.
In 1973, Professor Sanya Dharmasakti, Prime Minister and Professor Dr. Udom Posakritsana, Minister of Public Health reformed the Department of Medical Services, Ministry of Public Health, into an Academic Support Center.
On December 3, 1974, there was a decree announced Children’s Hospital to be a hospital under the Department of Medical Services. On October 1, 1975, Children’s Hospital completely separated from Women’s Hospital. (The Ministry changed the hospital from curing women to become the hospital treating general diseases on September 10, 1975. On May 27, 1976, King Rama IX kindly gave the new name as “Rajavithi Hospital”).
The administration building was replaced by an 8-story building. The construction began on March 24, 1978 and ended on April 7, 1982. Her Royal Highness Princess Sirindhorn joined the opening ceremony on December 10, 1982. The building was later named as “Siam Boromrajakumari” on January 7, 1994.
In 1992, Children’s Hospital received a budget to build a 12-story building for inpatients. It was named “Mahitalathibetsra Building” on August 17, 1992 as a recognition of a 100th Birthday Anniversary of “Somdet Phra Mahitalathibet Adunyadetwikrom Phra Borommaratchanok”, the Father of Modern Medicine. Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani Vadhana laid a foundation stone on August 25, 1992. The construction was completed and opened for public services in October 1996. Her Royal Highness Princess Sirindhorn joined the building opening ceremony on April 17, 1997.
On October 4, 1996 Royal Thai Government Gazette changed the name Children’s Hospital to Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health.
In 1997, Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health received funds to construct “Satabun Building”. The construction was completed in 2002.
In 2010, Funds was given from Thai Khem Kaeng Project to build a 27 story building. In an occasion to celebrate Her Majesty Queen Sirikit’s 80th Birthday on August 12, 2012, we have been granted the permission by Her Majesty to name the new building as “The Children’s Specialty Center in Honor of Her Majesty the Queen’s 80th Birthday Anniversary”. Her Majesty the Queen came to lay a foundation stone on June 29, 2012. The construction was completed in 2014.